Friday, October 3, 2014

Carpe Diem #575, Spearflower (December 2012)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today another "flash-back" into Carpe Diem's history. Today we have a prompt which I had in December 2012, the last month of that year. In that month I decided to try Carpe Diem for another year and ... I am glad I did go on with this wonderful weblog. As I look at how Carpe Diem Haiku Kai has evolved to a haiku-family with an awesome group of regular contributors ... wow ... I couldn't have dreamed that as I started.

In December 2012 I had the first month with classical kigo (seasonwords) for winter and it amazed me how much response I got on all those wonderful classical kigo. And in that month we had all haiku by Yosa Buson as our featured haiku-poet. It really was an awesome month than. It was also the first month in which I sometimes had not enough time to publish a daily prompt ... and than I realized ... "O.M.G. what have I started?"

Carpe Diem Logo December 2012

If you want to read this "re-prise" post again than click HERE than you can read that episode again. For today however I have chosen to only share a nice picture of the Spearflower or Manryoo (as is the classic Japanese kigo) and a haiku by Yozakura, our "unknown" haiku-poet of our last Wednesday GW-post. I happened to find a picture of him which I also will share with you here.

Spearflower (Manryoo)
spearflower berries
tempting the sparrows with their color -
graveyard in the mist

© Yozakura (1640-1716)

And here is a picture of him which I recently discovered:

Yozakura (1640-1716)
 It's not a great picture, but it gives yu an idea of whom Yozakura was. I am still on a quest to find more about him.

spearflower berries
sparrows picking them from the snow
in my backyard

© Chèvrefeuille

The above haiku I shared in the post to which this episode refers ... I hadn't the inspiration to compose an all new one ...

This episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until October 6th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our first CD-Special of this month, a haiku by Shiba Sonome, later on. For now have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment