Monday, October 13, 2014

Carpe Diem #582, Inner Beauty (July 2013)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a wonderful month we have 'til now. And I think it will become even more beautiful and wonderful. We are almost halfway and tomorrow I will start with the judging of the Sea Shell Game 2014. I will tell you how I am gonna do that. I will first give all the contributed haiku a number, than I will shake them all and split them up into two groups. I will pick two haiku and will read them again and again to see if the haiku fits the following the classical rules (excluding the 5-7-5 count), so is there e.g a kigo, a kireji (cutting-word) or e.g a deeper layer.


Because I only will see numbered haiku I don't know whom the haiku has written. I choose of every two haiku the "best" and they will go into another group. After I have run the whole bunch of haiku I will start again with reading and judging. After a few rounds there will be a haiku who, in my opinion, fits in the above mentioned rules. That will be our winner. It's just the honor of being the winner which you get and no prize or something. Maybe I will create a haiga from your winning haiku.
I hope you all understand how the Sea Shell Game will come to have a winner.

Ok ... back to our prompt for today. Today we are going further along memory-lane and we have arrived at July 2013 in which all prompts were extracted from the novel "Manuscript found in Accra" by Paulo Coelho. It's a nice novel somewhat similar with "The Prophet" by Khalil Gibran.
I remember that it was a nice month and that we had haiku written by Jane Reichhold for the Carpe Diem Specials ... it was a few months after my first contact with Jane and as you all know ... Jane is now the host of our Special feature "Ask Jane ...

This was our CDHK-logo that month taken from the cover of "Manuscript found in Accra"
It was a nice month, but there were several prompts which weren't easy to write haiku about. Hereafter I will give the haiku set which I composed for this episode back in July 2013:

smiling geisha
hides her beauty behind a fan
and her white face

her white face
the rule for her class of beauty -
no Inner Beauty

© Chèvrefeuille

In my opinion both are beautiful, but I also remember that it wasn't easy to write this set of haiku. As I wrote that haiku-set I thought at the movie "memoires of a geisha". Inner Beauty ... to me more important than the outer beauty, but for sure there will be other thoughts about that.

Now it is up to you my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers to write an all new haiku (or if you were a member than back in 2013, you may also share your haiku which you created for this same prompt in July 2013). 
This episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and it will remain open until October 16th at noon (CET). I will try to post our next episode, a new GW-post, later on. For now ... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all.
Don't forget ... tonight at 7.00 (CET) I also will publish our new Time Glass episode.



1 comment: