Saturday, October 18, 2014

Carpe Diem "Sparkling Stars" #10, Tea


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

As I am preparing this episode of "Sparkling Stars" (I first write all the episodes, before setting them online) it's around 5.30 AM (CET) and I am not in the nightshift anymore, but I couldn't sleep. I have slept that's for sure, but only for a couple of hours, a very deep sleep. As I awoke I tried to stay in bed for a while, but couldn't sleep anymore. So I got up to make me a cup of tea and something to eat.
That cup of tea brought an image in mind, the tea-ceremony as performed by the classical tea-master Rykyu. Isn't it great to take part in such a tea-ceremony?
I remember that I once wrote a haibun about me being a participant in a tea-ceremony performed by Rykyu. It was a great experience.

Yozakura (1640-1716)

Not so long ago I introduced Yozakura (1640-1716) , the unknown haiku master, to you all. Recently I discovered a few haiku written by him and I love to share them with you all. These haiku he must have written after participating in a tea ceremony, but I don't know that for sure.

deep silence
only the sound of boiling water
an empty cup

© Yozakura

all alone
at the foot of Mt. Fuji -
tea and nothing else

© Yozakura

in this tea house
the smell of cherry blossoms
scooping hot water

© Yozakura

All wonderful haiku I think and in a way all associated with tea or the tea ceremony. In classical (and non-classical) Japan drinking tea is a spiritual and religious experience. The Japanese have turned drinking tea into an Art.


crystal clear water
ghostly curls of steam -
the perfume of tea

© Chèvrefeuille

Look around and see the beauty of the little things, the beauty of boiling water. Try to see Art in all those little things.

shimmering pebble
between colorful leaves -
departing summer

© Chèvrefeuille

Can you do that? I think you all can see the beauty in those little things, because that's what haiku does with you, with us. Through haiku, that short moment, that eye blink, we make Art

I am looking forward to all of your beautiful pieces of Art ... haiku inspired on the above haiku, this post ...

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until next Saturday October 25th at noon (CET). For now ... have fun!



4 comments:

  1. A lovely episode and prompt. Your introduction inspired me so I wrote a tanka for you. Thanks for all you do as our host and poetic friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful haibun and prompt, Chevrefeuille, Sire! Worthy of the master you are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one.. very inspiring prompt... hope you can get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear -- those sleepless nights are so hard on the body and mind. Hoping your schedule is back to normal again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete